You are here

0191 510 1100
0191 567 2774
Queen Alexandra Road, Grangetown, Sunderland SR2 9PF

Frickley Athletic 0 Sunderland RCA 3

Submitted by Rob Jones on Sunday, 22 August 2021
Saturday, 21 August 2021
The Emirates FA Cup

'A Life of Pie', the Northern League Blog is here.

FA Cup away days are a welcome distraction from the Hurly Burly of the Ebac Northern league and it gives, on occasion, the chance to play clubs at a different level and in a different part of the country.

Today we made the trip into North Yorkshire to play Northern Premier League Div I East side Frickley Athletic who in their opening two games of the season had defeated Hebburn Town and Brighouse Town and lie fifth in the league. 

The rain which had been persistent throughout our journey to Frickley evaporated as we arrived at the ground only to resurrect itself in time for the kick off.

The management team made one change to the team that played so well at North Shields with Michael Annang-Colquhoun coming in for Andrew Johnson.

The teams lined up as follows:

Frickley Athletic: Askew, Whitehead, West, Woolford, Beatson, Everington, Hollinsworth, Burns, B Wells, K Wells, Williamson. Subs: Barks, Stacey, Mettam, Frecklington, Bottomley. 

Sunderland RCA: Ball, Allen, Carr, Jakab, Errington, Hawkins ©, Hennis, Best, Davison, Annang-Colquhoun, Richardson. Subs: Lawrence, Marrs, Johnson, Coghlan, Madden, Pinder, Lennox.

The game started fairly quietly as both teams felt their way into the match.

Frickley were the first to show real attacking intent, a ball out of defence by Everington found Hollingsworth on the right, he cut inside to deliver a cross into the box but Errington managed to get to the ball in front of B Wells and headed out for a throw.

RCA started to find their rhythm and a quickly taken throw in by Carr was picked up by Richardson who slipped the ball to Davison and the RCA striker didn’t hesitate to strike a powerful shot which was dipping into the corner of the net but Askew managed to palm it over the bar.

The RCA defence, which had been so effective in the match at North Shields, almost conspired to give the home team the lead, a long ball forward looked innocuous as it headed toward the RCA box with three defenders converging on it, however all three missed the ball and allowed K Wells a free shot at goal which Ball saved brilliantly diving to his left.

In the 12 minute RCA almost took the lead, Hawkins intercepted a pass and laid the ball off to Best, he then played a defence splitting pass to Richardson who crossed low towards Davison but Askew bravely dived at the feet of the RCA striker to deny what looked like a certain goal.

Frickley responded on the right with a well worked throw in the ball was thrown to B Wells who turned away from goal before back heeling the ball to Burns inside the penalty area but his shot flew well over the bar.

RCA didn’t have to wait long to take the lead, Ball sent the goal kick forward to Davison who rose to deftly flick the ball on to Richardson who raced clear of the Frickley defence before calmly slotting the ball into the net despite Askew getting a hand to the ball.

A quick break from the restart almost got Frickley back into the game; the ball was played forward to B Wells who laid it back to Everington whose shot from 25 yards went narrowly wide of the target.

The next meaningful attack came when the visitors, after a spell of possession, switched the ball out to Annang-Colquhoun who tricked his way past his marker before playing the ball to Best who fired in a shot which took a deflection and went out for a corner.

Frickley then had their best spell of the match so far retaining possession in midfield though Burns and Everington they were able to set up an opportunity for Williams on the edge of the box but his shot was well saved by Ball.

Two minutes later and a quick interplay between B Wells and K Wells opened up the RCA defence and when the ball was played to Woolford he looked sure to score but hi blasted the ball over the bar.

This seemed to spur RCA on as they took a stranglehold on the game, which they never really relinquished.

The home team were forced to make a substitution with West going off and replaced by Stacey.

In the 32 minute Carr found Richardson on the right and his curling cross caught Askew off his line but he was able to scramble back to tip the ball over the bar.

The visitors should have been 2-0 up in the 36 minute when Hennis played the ball forward to Davison, who steered it into the path of Richardson who cut it back to Annang-Colquhoun who only had to hit the target to score but side-footed wide.

A lengthy delay in play after a collision between two Frickley players ended with the Frickley captain leaving the field of play to receive further attention for a nose bleed.

As the half entered the final few minutes Hawkins again broke up play to set up another RCA attack, Best picked up the ball and sent  a wonderful ball to Davison who took one touch to control the ball before slotting home to make it 2-0.

The start of the second half saw Frickley’s captain B Wells replaced by Barks which was a major blow to the home team.

RCA started where they left off looking to take control of the game, while Frickley looking to get back into the game were reduced to long forward balls which were easily dealt with by Jakab and Errington. Even the strong-arm tactics of K Wells didn’t upset the youthful RCA back line.

In midfield both Hennis and Best were well on top and a deep lying Hawkins was making life hard for the forwards of Frickley.

In the 55 minute Annang-Colquhoun won a corner on the right, Best took the kick to the far post where Davison headed the ball downward, Askew managed to get a foot to the ball but it fell to Richardson who fired over the bar.

Any fight that was left in the home team was extinguished in the 63 minute when Hennis picked up a forward pass from Allen took the ball forward into the oppositions penalty area before cutting the ball back to Best on the penalty spot and he made no mistake, picking his spot and firing into the net to make it 3-0.

It could so easily have been 4-0 in the 84 minute when another defence splitting pass from Best found Richardson in acres of space, the diminutive winger rounded the keeper before shooting but his shot hit the post and rebounded to safety.

That wasn’t the end of RCA’s attacking efforts as Davison spotting Askew off his line tried to lob him from 40 yards out, unfortunately the ball drifted well wide of the target to the relief of the Frickley keeper.

This was an accomplished performance by RCA, everyone of them contributed to a truly wonderfully entertaining match (not if you were a Frickley supporter).

Other than the first 10 minutes we were in command of this game, defensively we worked as a unit, we controlled the midfield for long periods and where always a threat up front.

We are into the draw for the next round on Monday what a good feeling that is.

Note: Tuesday’s match against Redcar Athletic is cancelled due to their replay with Seaham Red Star.

Next up is a home game against Whickham FC on Saturday, 28 August 2021. Kick off 3.00pm