You are here

0191 510 1100
0191 567 2774
Queen Alexandra Road, Grangetown, Sunderland SR2 9PF

Sunderland RCA 5 Ryhope CW 2

Submitted by Simon Mears on Sunday, 12 August 2018
Saturday, 11 August 2018
The Emirates FA Cup

Double scorer Colin Larkin shields the ball from former RCA defender Danni Lay.

For more photos from the match please click here.

For Ryhope Colliery Welfare's match report please click here.

Goal scorers - RCA: Davison (2); Charlton; Larkin (2). RCW: Own goals (2).

There’s nothing quite like The Emirates FA Cup for stirring up memories of past matches - three spring to mind for me: the first FA Cup match l attended was at my beloved Roker Park, standing in the Roker End on 14 November 1987 to see Sunderland's 2-0 First Round victory over Darlington, with Paul Atkinson grabbing both goals. The second was the FA Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough on 5 April 1992 when Sunderland beat Norwich City, 1-0, with a goal from John Byrne after a lovely move. And last, but definitely not least, was the match played a few weeks before the Norwich City game, when Sunderland beat Chelsea at Roker Park in a Sixth Round replay on 18 March 1992 thanks to goals from Peter Davenport and a magnificent late header from Gordon Armstrong. I stood in the Fulwell End that night and the atmosphere was absolutely electric, as 26,000 fans sounded more like 86,000! Floodlit matches at Roker were special.

Today's match will create its own memories as it is the first time that Sunderland RCA and Ryhope Colliery Welfare have met in The Emirates FA Cup.

Both sides went into the match with a good away win and a disappointing home defeat in their two Northern League matches so far this season.

The two sides lined up as follows:

RCA: Pocklington; Lilley; McNab; Preston; Swansbury (c); Elliott; Charlton; Page; Davison; Larkin; Callen. Subs: Hodgson; Finch; McGuiness; Moan; Limbo; Kokoska; Ramshaw.

RCW: Ball; Nicholson; Gordon; Bott; Riding (c); Lay; Bird; Skidmore; Rae; Home-Jackson; Ellis.

RCA - kicking down the slope - got off to a storming start, taking the lead in the third minute: Larkin delivered a cross from the left that was headed down by Charlton at the far post and Callen fired in a shot which was well blocked by Ball. But the loose ball fell to Davison, who hammered into the net from close range. Four minutes later and it should have been two, after Page made a typical driving run through central midfield, before playing a lovely one-two with Callen and firing in a shot which was blocked by Ball and Larkin, following up, fired a shot narrowly wide from the edge of the RCW penalty area. In the 12th minute, RCW had a great chance to equalise after Pocklington sliced a clearance, giving Ellis a clear run on goal but Pocklington made amends with a good save, diving low to his left.

Seconds later and RCA almost grabbed a second after Larkin's shot from the edge of the RCW penalty area struck the base of the post and Charlton sliced the rebound wide. Two minutes later and a long ball forward was headed down by Davison, and Page unleashed a fierce volley which flew just wide of the post. RCA weren't to be denied, however, and in the 17th minute doubled the lead. A ball was played upto Callen, who played in Charlton who fired in a super shot from just inside the penalty area. Nine minutes later and RCW were awarded a free-kick after Lilley tripped the dangerous Ellis. Ellis whipped the kick in low, McNab had a swing and a miss and the ball deflected off Preston’s foot and into the corner of the net for an unlucky own goal. Five minutes later and Ellis made a good run down the left before delivering a cross which was blocked by McNab for a corner that was claimed by Pocklington.

In the 34th minute, Ellis played in Bird, who cut in from the left and along the edge of the RCA penalty area before firing in a shot that was well saved by Pocklington, diving to his left. RCW kept pressing and, five minutes later, won a free-kick on the right which was delivered by Ellis, and Riding rose highest but headed the ball over the crossbar. In the 41st minute, RCA captain Greg Swanbury was forced to retire with an ankle injury and was replaced by Craig Hodgson. Seconds later and Callen crossed to the far post, Charlton headed the ball down, and Larkin fired in a shot that was saved by Ball at the second attempt. In first half stoppage time, RCW had a great chance to equalise after Home-Jackson delivered a teasing ball into the RCA six-yard area which went right across the face of goal and was hacked clear.

Almost a half of two halves - RCA could have been out of sight in the opening 20 minutes or so, but once RCW got a goal back they had a very good spell of pressure and could easily have gone in all square at the break.

Half-time: Sunderland RCA 2 Ryhope CW 1

RCW continued to press in the second half and, in the 52nd minute, Gordon fired a shot wide from the left apex of the RCA penalty area. Six minutes later and Home-Jackson picked up a loose ball in midfield but his shot was tame and comfortably held by Pocklington. RCA immediately launched a counterattack and won a corner after Page fired over after Callen’s effort was blocked. From Elliott's corner, Davison headed home powerfully to restore RCA's two-goal cushion.

Seven minutes later and RCA got a fourth goal after Larkin was released in on goal - the first effort was well blocked by Ball but the ball fell back to Larkin who - instead of going for power - showed his class, delicately lifting the ball over Ball and into the net. Just three minutes later and RCW got their second goal, and again it was an unlucky own goal after Ellis crossed and the ball deflected off Hodgson leaving Pocklington stranded.

As the match entered the final 15 minutes, Mark Davison was replaced by Dominic Moan. Two minutes later and RCA wrapped up the match with a fifth goal as Page played Larkin in down the inside right channel, and Larkin evaded a challenge in the penalty area before finishing well. In stoppage time a cracking match was marred by a clash between Callen and Riding, who were both given red cards by the referee. RCA then made their final substitution, with Michael Charlton being replaced by Dimitri Limbo.

An excellent win for RCA this afternoon, and we now travel to Clitheroe in Lancashire for the Preliminary Round on Saturday, 25 August. And great to see a very healthy crowd of 173 at Meadow Park too.

This afternoon's RCA man of the match was chosen by Iain Robb who picked Ross McNab for “a great performance”. Well played, Ross!

Next up for RCA is a home match against Dunston UTS on Saturday, 18 August, with a 3pm kick-off. Please note: the scheduled fixture at Seaham Red Star on Tuesday has been postponed due to Seaham’s FA Cup replay with Heaton Stannington on Wednesday.