You are here

RCA The Barnes 1 Farringdon SC 1

Submitted by Ian Ferguson on Monday, 28 March 2011

Sunday, 27 March 2011

Sunderland Sunday League

RCA The Barnes were down to the very bare bones for this league encounter against Farringdon SC, who were also struggling for bodies, and only had 12 people available for selection due to a variety of reasons (some legitimate and some quite bizarre). Nevertheless they started with Atkinson in goal, McVay, Curtis, Hall and a semi fit Harrison across the back, a rare start for Ubong accompanied by an unaccustomed midfield role for Crew, Charlton and Hughes in midfield with the returning Turvey and Place up front. Only the one sub, that being Edimagimu.

Neither side managed to get a grip on proceedings and the game was not of a very high standard, but RCA did take the lead on 30 minutes when Turvey pounced on some poor defending from Farra and his effort was deflected past keeper Heath to give RCA the lead. Farringdon pushed for the equaliser and with left back Harrison struggling badly with a back problem and not able to get back in position, Dunn found himself with space at the far post eight yards out and his completely mishit shot was going harmlessly wide until Cheal stepped in to poke home from point blank range, to give a half time score of 1 - 1.

Edimagimu had to replace Harrison at this stage and went wide left in midfield, with Hughes dropping back into left back. Ubong was pushed up front and Turvey and Place were asked to sit in the 'hole' (whatever that is). Farringdon then had most of the possession for the second half, but were unable to make it count with any worthwhile clear cut chances and RCA only had a couple of half chances on the break without ever working the Farra keeper. The game petered out to its inevitable conclussion at 1 - 1. Neither side would be particularly happy with their performance and the draw was probably the best that either deserved.

RCA are away on Thursday night against Myers, who are in the driving seat as far as winning the league, at Billy Hardy Centre, Castletown (6:00pm ko) and then are at Meadow Park next Sunday, 3 April against Grangetown WMC in the third round of the League Cup (10:30am ko.)